On a biting night in Williamsburg, Net Impact NYC kicked off the 2015 events program with a sold out open bar and tour of the NY Distilling Co. NY Distilling Co, already a Brooklyn staple after three years in business, produces American Rye and American Gin with sustainable ingredients from New York State.
Guest sipped custom cocktails made with house spirits while learning about the history of distilling in New York City, the science behind the distillation process, and current trends in the craft spirits market. Our distillery guide Diane shared that showcasing sustainable ingredients has “always been a priority to the founders” and that over “75% of our ingredients come from farmers in the state, feeding back into local economies”.
3 Things We Learned about Sustainable Spirits:
- Dutch settlers pioneered the American gin industry
- Cold NY winters and humid summers give our local spirits a uniquely bold and robust flavor
- NY Distilling Co produces one of the only spirits named after a woman
Net Impact NYC newcomers and members had the opportunity to hear about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities. Guests were excited about continuing education and professional development opportunities such as hands on workshops and smart speed networking events. The room buzzed at the announcement of 2015’s signature events series: Small Dinner Discussions with thought leaders hailing from a range of industries.
3 Things We Shared about Net Impact NYC in 2015:
- Our focus area for events this year will be Corporate Social Responsibility, Impact Investing, International Development and Social Enterprise
- February 2015 will be International Development Month with key events for professional development, small dinner discussions and a film screening
- Our skills-based volunteering programs (Service Corps and Board Fellows) are accepting 2015 applications (ending Feb 7th)