This page is for prospective volunteer consultants. If you are representing a nonprofit or social enterprise and want to participate in Service Corps as a client organization, please click here.
Service Corps: Team-Based Pro Bono Consulting
The Service Corps Program matches teams of passionate and skilled Net Impact NYC community members with nonprofits and social enterprises to complete actionable 12-week pro bono consulting projects that fulfill specific business and/or organizational needs.
5 Reasons To Become A Service Corps Consultant
- Leverage your skills for impact by answering a local non-profit or social enterprise’s call for industry-specific or business expertise
- Acquire impact-oriented consulting skills training and experience
- Network with peers and get exposure to their interdisciplinary approaches to problem-solving
- Learn about a social or environmental issue and managing a mission-driven organization
- Build meaningful relationships with NYC nonprofits and social enterprise
Applications for the Spring 2018 Round have closed.
Sign up here to receive a notification when applications for the Fall 2018 round open in late summer!
Is Service Corps right for me?
Service Corps is great for you if you have:
- At least 2 years of professional experience (quality over quantity!)
- Ability to commit 3-5 hours per week for 12 weeks
- Flexibility to work well in teams and independently
- Strong interest in leveraging your skills to solve organizational challenges
- Comfort with ambiguity and problem solving
- A strong and proactive work ethic
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Passion for making an impact on social and/or environmental issues
What will be expected of me?
- Finalize the project’s scope and deliverables with your team and client
- Spend 3-5 hours per week for 12 weeks on your project
- Work collaboratively with your team in person and virtually at least 3 times per month
- Meet deadlines for team-based and solo tasks, including timely responses to team communications
- Complete a final report, slide deck or other project-appropriate deliverable detailing your team’s work and recommendations
- Attend a NINYC orientation to kick off the project and complete a post-project evaluation
- Become a basic member of NINYC. (Membership is not required to apply; however, should you be matched on a team, you will be required to register for a free basic NINYC membership prior to the project launch.)
What is the matching process?
After submitting an application, potential Service Corps consultants receive a survey to rank the projects they would like to work on based on interest and professional fit. Taking into account volunteer preferences and the skills and experience needed for each project, the NINYC Programs Committee matches teams of 4-6 professionals with complementary backgrounds to nonprofit and social enterprise clients. Applicants are notified of their matches with sufficient time to accept or decline before the Service Corps orientation.
When will the next Service Corps projects be available?
Service Corps projects occur annually in the Spring (March-May) and Fall (September-December).
Applications for the Fall 2018 round will open in July 2018.
What are typical client causes and projects?
There is no typical Service Corps client or project. NINYC welcomes all non-profit and for-profit clients with missions that align with Net Impact’s focus on social and environmental impact to apply for Service Corps, with the exception of political and/or religious causes. Projects and consulting teams are tailored to the current needs of the client, and often require professionals with a diversity of backgrounds to collaborate. Therefore, each round of Service Corps is unique in terms of client causes and projects.
How much does it cost to participate as a volunteer consultant?
Where can I send other questions?
Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
If you want to recommend a non-profit or social enterprise organization with a presence in NYC who might benefit from partnering with our volunteer consultants, please email email@example.com